My slow cooker (aka crock-pot) and I are BFFs. It cooks — I clean. We have a perfect culinary partnership. I rely on my slow cooker so much that I use at least once a week — even more during the fall and winter. What I love most about using a slow cooker, is that it is almost like having a home cook meal prepared for me.
Of course, I had to put the ingredients into the crock-pot. Chances are good that there may have been some washing, peeling and/or chopping involved. However, once dinner time rolls around – any work that went into the preparation – is long forgotten.
If you have never used a slow cooker, first let me just say –“WHAT?!?!?!?!?! Oh my goodness darling — you have no idea what you are missing.”
Secondly, I have some great recipes to share with you. These simple recipes will have you on your way to becoming slow cooker savvy! If you have used a crock-pot before, you know the value of a great slow cooker recipe.
Here are three of the most simple, delicious and fairly inexpensive recipes that I make. These are family favorites in our house and I hope your family will like them too.
Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- 1 Bottle BBQ Sauce
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- Pork Loin, Roast or Chops
- Hoagie Rolls or Buns
- Put the Pork into the crock-pot.
- Mix together chicken broth and BBQ sauce then pour over pork.
- Turn slow cooker on low and cook 8-10hrs
- Toast rolls or buns (optional)
Slow Cooker French Dip
- 3 lbs Beef Sirloin Roast
- 2 tbs Oil
- 2 packets Dry Au Jus Mix
- 1 cup Water
- Hoagie Rolls
- Provolone cheese (optional)
- Heat oil over med-high heat.
- Brown roast on all sides then place in slow cooker.
- Mix together water and one au jus packet; pour over roast.
- Cook on low 6-8 hrs.
- When ready to serve; prepare the second au jus mix, according to packet instructions.
- Remove roast and either shred or slice.
- Place meat into rolls and top with cheese if desired.
- Serve with small bowls of the hot au jus for dipping.
Three Envelope Chicken
- 3-4 lbs Whole Chicken
- 1 dry packet Ranch dressing mix
- 1 dry packet Italian Dressing Mix
- 1 dry packet Chicken Gravy Mix
- 1 can Chicken Broth
- Wash and clean chicken (don’t forget to remove the giblets)
- Put chicken into the crock-pot breast side down.
- Pour chicken broth over the chicken.
- Sprinkle each packet over the top of the chicken.
- Cook on low for 4-6hrs
- When the chicken is finished; remove the skin and remove the meat from the bones (it usually just falls off).
- I usually serve this with mashed potatoes or stuffing — and a green veggie of some kind.
If you don’t own a crock-pot, GET ONE!!! I am happy to report that they really aren’t too expensive and they last a long time. The slow cookers that are pictured here, can be found on amazon.com and range in price from $30-$45 at the time of this publishing. They all have pretty decent reviews so check them out.
The SCCPVL600-R. This cooker sells for under $30, comes in back and red.
The Hamilton Beach 33461. A thousand 5 star reviews can’t be wrong. Sells for about $35 bucks.
The Hamilton Beach Set ‘n Forget. This cooker is also hugely popular. It retails for under $50.
Do you use a slow cooker? What is your favorite slow cooker meal?
Get Your FREE Book Now
Get a copy of "Teach Your Kids About Money," a Kids Ain't Cheap ebook, FREE by signing up.